Factors influencing online shopping intentions: The mediating role of perceived enjoyment
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
The study aimed to understand factors influencing customers' online shopping intentions. This study used the technology acceptance model (TAM) and extended it, including social value and perceived enjoyment, to measure customers' intentions in the online shopping context. Three hundred one validated data was collected using personal interviews and the online survey approach through convenience sampling technique from 20 to 60 years old. Subsequently, data were analyzed through PLS-SEM. The measurement model was first examined to determine whether the constructs predict online shopping intentions. After validating the measurement model, the subsequent structural model was analyzed using Smart PLS 3.3.3. The study results revealed that perceived usefulness, attitude, social value, and perceived enjoyment are significant positive predictors of online shopping intentions. However, perceived ease of use insignificantly impacted online shopping intentions. Moreover, this study results showed that perceived enjoyment partially mediates the relationship between perceived usefulness, perceived ease of use, social value, and online shopping intentions. In contrast, the influence of attitude on intentions is insignificantly mediated by perceived enjoyment. This study will provide online e-retailers with insights into how practitioners can influence customers to shop online. Customer behaviour is the result of customers' intentions, built through perceived usefulness, ease of use, attitude, social value, and enjoyment.
- Abdul-Muhmin, Alhassan G. 2010. “Repeat Purchase Intentions in Online Shopping: The Role of Satisfaction, Attitude, and Online Retailers’ Performance.” Journal of International Consumer Marketing 23(1):5–20.
- Abdullah, Fazil, Rupert Ward, and Ejaz Ahmed. 2016. “Investigating the Influence of the Most Commonly Used External Variables of TAM on Students’ Perceived Ease of Use (PEOU) and Perceived Usefulness (PU) of e-Portfolios.” Computers in Human Behavior 63:75–90.
- Ajzen, Icek. 1991. “The Theory of Planned Behavior.” Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes 50(2):179–211.
- Akhlaq, Ather, and Ejaz Ahmed. 2015. “Digital Commerce in Emerging Economies: Factors Associated with Online Shopping Intentions in Pakistan.” International Journal of Emerging Markets.
- Amin, Muslim, Sajad Rezaei, and Maryam Abolghasemi. 2014. “User Satisfaction with Mobile Websites: The Impact of Perceived Usefulness (PU), Perceived Ease of Use (PEOU) and Trust.” Nankai Business Review International.
- Amoako-Gyampah, Kwasi. 2007. “Perceived Usefulness, User Involvement and Behavioral Intention: An Empirical Study of ERP Implementation.” Computers in Human Behavior 23(3):1232–48.
- Anderson, James C., and David W. Gerbing. 1988. “Structural Equation Modeling in Practice: A Review and Recommended Two-Step Approach.” Psychological Bulletin 103(3):411.
- Ashraf, Abdul R., Narongsak Tek Thongpapanl, and Stavroula Spyropoulou. 2016. “The Connection and Disconnection between E-Commerce Businesses and Their Customers: Exploring the Role of Engagement, Perceived Usefulness, and Perceived Ease-of-Use.” Electronic Commerce Research and Applications 20:69–86.
- Bagozzi, Richard P., and Youjae Yi. 1988. “On the Evaluation of Structural Equation Models.” Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science 16(1):74–94.
- Biswas, Chhanda, Santus Kumar Deb, Abdulla Al-Towfiq Hasan, and Md Shariful Alam Khandakar. 2020. "Mediating Effect of Tourists' Emotional Involvement on the Relationship between Destination Attributes and Tourist Satisfaction." Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Insights.
- Brizi, Ambra, Mauro Giacomantonio, Birga M. Schumpe, and Lucia Mannetti. 2015. “Intention to Pay Taxes or to Avoid Them: The Impact of Social Value Orientation.” Journal of Economic Psychology 50:22–31.
- Cheema, Umair, Muhammad Rizwan, Rizwan Jalal, Faiza Durrani, and Nawal Sohail. 2013. “The Trend of Online Shopping in 21st Century: Impact of Enjoyment in TAM Model.” Asian Journal of Empirical Research 3(2):131–41.
- Chen, Mengdi, and Wan-Hao Zhang. 2021. “Purchase Intention for Hydrogen Automobile among Chinese Citizens: The Influence of Environmental Concern and Perceived Social Value.” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 46(34):18000–10.
- Chiu, Chao-Min, Hua-Yang Lin, Szu-Yuan Sun, and Meng-Hsiang Hsu. 2009. “Understanding Customers’ Loyalty Intentions towards Online Shopping: An Integration of Technology Acceptance Model and Fairness Theory.” Behaviour & Information Technology 28(4):347–60.
- Cohen, Jacob. 1988. “Statistical Power.” Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences 273–406.
- Coppola, D. (2021, September 17). “E-commerce worldwide - statistics & facts”. Www.Statista.Com. https://www.statista.com/topics/871/online-shopping/.
- Davis, Fred D. 1989. “Perceived Usefulness, Perceived Ease of Use, and User Acceptance of Information Technology.” MIS Quarterly 319–40.
- Dickinger, Astrid, Mitra Arami, and David Meyer. 2008. “The Role of Perceived Enjoyment and Social Norm in the Adoption of Technology with Network Externalities.” European Journal of Information Systems 17(1):4–11.
- Fishbein, Martin, and Icek Ajzen. 1975. “Belief, Attitude, Intention and Behavior Reading, MA.” Addison-Wesley. Ford, RC & Richardson, WD (1994). Ethical Decision Making: A Review of the Empirical Literature. Journal of Business Ethics 13:205–21.
- Fornell, Claes, and David F. Larcker. 1981. “Structural Equation Models with Unobservable Variables and Measurement Error: Algebra and Statistics.”
- Giao, H., B. Vuong, and T. Quan. 2020. “The Influence of Website Quality on Consumer’s e-Loyalty through the Mediating Role of e-Trust and e-Satisfaction: An Evidence from Online Shopping in Vietnam.” Uncertain Supply Chain Management 8(2):351–70.
- Gong, Wen, Rodney L. Stump, and Lynda M. Maddox. 2013. “Factors Influencing Consumers’ Online Shopping in China.” Journal of Asia Business Studies.
- Hasan, A. A., Chhanda Biswas, Moumita Roy, Sonia Akter, and Bapon Chandra Kuri. 2020. “The Applicability of Theory of Planned Behaviour to Predict Domestic Tourist Behavioural Intention: The Case of Bangladesh.” GeoJournal of Tourism and Geosites 31(3):1019–26.
- Hasan, Abdulla Al-Towfiq. 2021. "Sustainable Customer Relationship Management (SusCRM) in Customer Loyalty Perspective: An Empirical Study on Restaurant Industries in Bangladesh." Global Media Journal 19(42):1–4.
- Henseler, Jörg, Christian M. Ringle, and Rudolf R. Sinkovics. 2009. “The Use of Partial Least Squares Path Modeling in International Marketing.” in New challenges to international marketing. Emerald Group Publishing Limited.
- Henseler, Jörg, and Marko Sarstedt. 2013. “Goodness-of-Fit Indices for Partial Least Squares Path Modeling.” Computational Statistics 28(2):565–80.
- Holdack, Eric, Katja Lurie-Stoyanov, and Harro Fabian Fromme. 2020. “The Role of Perceived Enjoyment and Perceived Informativeness in Assessing the Acceptance of AR Wearables.” Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services 102259.
- Hsu, Chin‐Lung, Judy Chuan‐Chuan Lin, and Hsiu‐Sen Chiang. 2013. “The Effects of Blogger Recommendations on Customers’ Online Shopping Intentions.” Internet Research.
- Hu, Xi, Qian Huang, Xuepan Zhong, Robert M. Davison, and Dingtao Zhao. 2016. “The Influence of Peer Characteristics and Technical Features of a Social Shopping Website on a Consumer’s Purchase Intention.” International Journal of Information Management 36(6):1218–30.
- Hu, Yong, Xin Sun, Jing Zhang, Xiangzhou Zhang, Fanghao Luo, and Lijun Huang. 2009. “A University Student Behavioral Intention Model of Online Shopping.” Pp. 625–28 in 2009 International Conference on Information Management, Innovation Management and Industrial Engineering. Vol. 1. IEEE.
- Jin, Seung-A. Annie. 2010. “The Effects of Incorporating a Virtual Agent in a Computer-Aided Test Designed for Stress Management Education: The Mediating Role of Enjoyment.” Computers in Human Behavior 26(3):443–51.
- Jolly, Eshin, Diana I. Tamir, Bethany Burum, and Jason P. Mitchell. 2019. “Wanting without Enjoying: The Social Value of Sharing Experiences.” PloS One 14(4):e0215318.
- Ke, Chih-Horng, Huey-Min Sun, Yuan-Chi Yang, and Huey-Min Sun. 2012. “Effects of User and System Characteristics on Perceived Usefulness and Perceived Ease of Use of the Web-Based Classroom Response System.” Turkish Online Journal of Educational Technology-TOJET 11(3):128–43.
- Khare, Arpita, and Sapna Rakesh. 2011. “Antecedents of Online Shopping Behavior in India: An Examination.” Journal of Internet Commerce 10(4):227–44.
- Kim, Changsu, Mirsobit Mirusmonov, and In Lee. 2010. “An Empirical Examination of Factors Influencing the Intention to Use Mobile Payment.” Computers in Human Behavior 26(3):310–22.
- Kim, HyeKyoung, and Jihoon Song. 2010. “The Quality of Word‐of‐mouth in the Online Shopping Mall.” Journal of Research in Interactive Marketing.
- Kim, Juyeon, Kyungmo Ahn, and Namho Chung. 2013. “Examining the Factors Affecting Perceived Enjoyment and Usage Intention of Ubiquitous Tour Information Services: A Service Quality Perspective.” Asia Pacific Journal of Tourism Research 18(6):598–617.
- Kucukusta, Deniz, Rob Law, Alia Besbes, and Patrick Legohérel. 2015. “Re-Examining Perceived Usefulness and Ease of Use in Online Booking: The Case of Hong Kong Online Users.” International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management.
- Lim, Yi Jin, Abdullah Osman, Shahrul Nizam Salahuddin, Abdul Rahim Romle, and Safizal Abdullah. 2016. “Factors Influencing Online Shopping Behavior: The Mediating Role of Purchase Intention.” Procedia Economics and Finance 35:401–10.
- Lin, Pei-Chun, and Yi-Hsuan Huang. 2012. “The Influence Factors on Choice Behavior Regarding Green Products Based on the Theory of Consumption Values.” Journal of Cleaner Production 22(1):11–18.
- Manis, Kerry T., and Danny Choi. 2019. “The Virtual Reality Hardware Acceptance Model (VR-HAM): Extending and Individuating the Technology Acceptance Model (TAM) for Virtual Reality Hardware.” Journal of Business Research 100:503–13.
- Oliver, Jason D., and Seung‐Hee Lee. 2010. “Hybrid Car Purchase Intentions: A Cross‐cultural Analysis.” Journal of Consumer Marketing.
- Osborne, Jason W., and Anna B. Costello. 2004. “Sample Size and Subject to Item Ratio in Principal Components Analysis.” Practical Assessment, Research, and Evaluation 9(1):11.
- Ozturk, Ahmet Bulent, Anil Bilgihan, Khaldoon Nusair, and Fevzi Okumus. 2016. “What Keeps the Mobile Hotel Booking Users Loyal? Investigating the Roles of Self-Efficacy, Compatibility, Perceived Ease of Use, and Perceived Convenience.” International Journal of Information Management 36(6):1350–59.
- Patel, Vipul, Kallol Das, Ravi Chatterjee, and Yupal Shukla. 2020. “Does the Interface Quality of Mobile Shopping Apps Affect Purchase Intention? An Empirical Study.” Australasian Marketing Journal (AMJ) 28(4):300–309.
- Pitafi, Abdul Hameed, Shamsa Kanwal, and Ali Nawaz Khan. 2020. “Effects of Perceived Ease of Use on SNSs-Addiction through Psychological Dependence, Habit: The Moderating Role of Perceived Usefulness.” International Journal of Business Information Systems 33(3):383–407.
- Purnawirawan, Nathalia, Patrick De Pelsmacker, and Nathalie Dens. 2012. “Balance and Sequence in Online Reviews: How Perceived Usefulness Affects Attitudes and Intentions.” Journal of Interactive Marketing 26(4):244–55.
- Ramayah, T., and Joshua Ignatius. 2005. “Impact of Perceived Usefulness, Perceived Ease of Use and Perceived Enjoyment on Intention to Shop Online.” ICFAI Journal of Systems Management (IJSM) 3(3):36–51.
- Rouibah, Kamel, Paul Benjamin Lowry, and Yujong Hwang. 2016. “The Effects of Perceived Enjoyment and Perceived Risks on Trust Formation and Intentions to Use Online Payment Systems: New Perspectives from an Arab Country.” Electronic Commerce Research and Applications 19:33–43.
- So, Kevin Kam Fung, Hyunsu Kim, and Haemoon Oh. 2020. “What Makes Airbnb Experiences Enjoyable? The Effects of Environmental Stimuli on Perceived Enjoyment and Repurchase Intention.” Journal of Travel Research 0047287520921241.
- Sohn, Stefanie. 2017. “A Contextual Perspective on Consumers’ Perceived Usefulness: The Case of Mobile Online Shopping.” Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services 38:22–33.
- Tandon, Urvashi, Ravi Kiran, and Ash N. Sah. 2016. “Customer Satisfaction Using Website Functionality, Perceived Usability and Perceived Usefulness towards Online Shopping in India.” Information Development 32(5):1657–73.
- Taylor, Shirley, and Peter Todd. 1995. “Decomposition and Crossover Effects in the Theory of Planned Behavior: A Study of Consumer Adoption Intentions.” International Journal of Research in Marketing 12(2):137–55.
- Teo, Timothy, and Jan Noyes. 2011. “An Assessment of the Influence of Perceived Enjoyment and Attitude on the Intention to Use Technology among Pre-Service Teachers: A Structural Equation Modeling Approach.” Computers & Education 57(2):1645–53.
- Tong, Xiao. 2010. “A Cross‐national Investigation of an Extended Technology Acceptance Model in the Online Shopping Context.” International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management.
- Ventre, Ivan, and Diana Kolbe. 2020. “The Impact of Perceived Usefulness of Online Reviews, Trust and Perceived Risk on Online Purchase Intention in Emerging Markets: A Mexican Perspective.” Journal of International Consumer Marketing 32(4):287–99.
- Vijayasarathy, Leo R. 2004. “Predicting Consumer Intentions to Use On-Line Shopping: The Case for an Augmented Technology Acceptance Model.” Information & Management 41(6):747–62.
- Wang, Yi‐Shun, Hsin‐Hui Lin, and Yi‐Wen Liao. 2012. “Investigating the Individual Difference Antecedents of Perceived Enjoyment in Students’ Use of Blogging.” British Journal of Educational Technology 43(1):139–52.
- Wen, Chao, Victor R. Prybutok, and Chenyan Xu. 2011. “An Integrated Model for Customer Online Repurchase Intention.” Journal of Computer Information Systems 52(1):14–23.
- Wu, Wei, Vivian Huang, Xiayu Chen, Robert M. Davison, and Zhongsheng Hua. 2018. “Social Value and Online Social Shopping Intention: The Moderating Role of Experience.” Information Technology & People.
- Yoon, Cheolho. 2009. “The Effects of National Culture Values on Consumer Acceptance of E-Commerce: Online Shoppers in China.” Information & Management 46(5):294–301.
- Zendehdel, Marzieh, Laily Hj Paim, and Syuhaily Bint Osman. 2015. “Students’ Online Purchasing Behavior in Malaysia: Understanding Online Shopping Attitude.” Cogent Business & Management 2(1):1078428.