Bibliometric analysis of empirical studies on the subject of COVID-19 in consumer behaviour researches between 2020-2021 with visual mapping technique
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
This study visually presents bibliometric analyses for quantitative, qualitative and mixed empirical consumer behaviour research on COVID-19 published in various leading research journals with Scopus, ESCI and/or SSCI indexes in 2020 and 2021. For this aim, bibliometric analyzes of 50 studies selected for this study were performed using the VOSviewer software. According to the results obtained from the study, it was observed that primarily multi-author empirical studies were conducted at the national or global level regarding the changing consumer behaviour during the COVID-19 pandemic. In the studies conducted by the researchers, consumer behaviours were evaluated multidimensionally by using different theoretical models. For this, data were collected from consumers with other demographic characteristics by various methods and different analysis methods were used to analyse the collected data. The study provides implications as well as directions for future studies.
- Ahmed, R. R., Streimikiene, D., Rolle, J. A., & Pham, A. D. (2020). The COVID-19 pandemic and the antecedants for the impulse buying behaviour of US citizens. Journal of Competitiveness, 12(3), 5-27.
- Alaimo, L. S., Fiore, M., & Galati, A. (2020). How the COVID-19 pandemic is changing online food shopping human behaviour in Italy. Sustainability, 12(22), 9594, 1-18.
- Ali, S., Khalid, N., Javed, H. M. U., & Islam, D. M. (2021). Consumer adoption of online food delivery ordering (OFDO) services in Pakistan: the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic situation. Journal of Open Innovation: Technology, Market, and Complexity, 7(1), 1-23.
- Ali Taha, V., Pencarelli, T., Škerháková, V., Fedorko, R., & Košíková, M. (2021). The use of social media and its impact on shopping behaviour of Slovak and Italian consumers during COVID-19 pandemic. Sustainability, 13(4), 1-19.
- Aydın, İ. (2021a). Covid-19 pandemi döneminde korku öğesi barındıran ve virüsten korunma temalı reklamların satın alma niyeti ve reklama yönelik tutum üzerindeki etkileri. Anemon Muş Alparslan Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Dergisi, 9(4), 869-883.
- Aydın, İ. (2021b). Korku öğesi bulunduran reklamların markaya ve reklamın güvenilirliğine yönelik tutum üzerindeki etkisinin araştırılması. Bingöl Üniversitesi İktisadi ve İdari Bilimler Fakültesi Dergisi, 5(1), 277-304.
- Ben Hassen, T., El Bilali, H., & Allahyari, M. S. (2020). Impact of COVID-19 on food behaviour and consumption in Qatar. Sustainability, 12(17), 6973, 1-18.
- Bender, K. E., Badiger, A., Roe, B. E., Shu, Y., & Qi, D. (2021). Consumer behaviour during the COVID-19 pandemic: An analysis of food purchasing and management behaviours in US households through the lens of food system resilience. Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, 101107, 1-12.
- Bolek, S. (2021). Food purchasing, preservation, and eating behaviour during COVID-19 pandemic: A consumer analysis. Italian Journal of Food Science, 33(3), 14-24.
- Butu, A., Brumă, I. S., Tanasă, L., Rodino, S., Dinu Vasiliu, C., Doboș, S., & Butu, M. (2020). The impact of covid-19 crisis upon the consumer buying behaviour of fresh vegetables directly from local producers. Case study: The quarantined area of suceava county, Romania. International journal of environmental research and public health, 17(15), 5485, 1-24.
- Cruz-Cárdenas, J., Zabelina, E., Guadalupe-Lanas, J., Palacio-Fierro, A., & Ramos-Galarza, C. (2021). COVID-19, consumer behaviour, technology, and society: A literature review and bibliometric analysis. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 173, 121179, 1-13.
- de Medeiros, J. F., Marcon, A., Ribeiro, J. L. D., Quist, J., & D’Agostin, A. (2021). Consumer emotions and collaborative consumption: The effect of COVID-19 on the adoption of use-oriented product-service systems. Sustainable Production and Consumption, 27, 1569-1588.
- Di Crosta, A., Ceccato, I., Marchetti, D., La Malva, P., Maiella, R., Cannito, L., Cipi, M., Mammarella, N., Palumbo, R., Verrocchio, M.C., Palumbo,IDR. & Di Domenico, A. (2021). Psychological factors and consumer behaviour during the COVID-19 pandemic. PloS one, 16(8), 1-23.
- Dsouza, D., & Sharma, D. (2021). Online food delivery portals during COVID-19 times: an analysis of changing consumer behaviour and expectations. International Journal of Innovation Science. 13(2), 218-232.
- Eck, N. J. P., & Waltman, L. (2009). VOSviewer: A computer program for bibliometric mapping (No. ERS-2009-005-LIS). ERIM Report Series Research in Management.
- Eger, L., Komárková, L., Egerová, D., & Mičík, M. (2021). The effect of COVID-19 on consumer shopping behaviour: Generational cohort perspective. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 61, 102542, 1-11.
- Ellison, B., McFadden, B., Rickard, B. J., & Wilson, N. L. (2021). Examining food purchase behaviour and food values during the COVID‐19 pandemic. Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy, 43(1), 58-72.
- Espinoza-Ortega, A., Martínez-García, C. G., Rojas-Rivas, E., Fernández-Sánchez, Y., Escobar-López, S. Y., & Sánchez-Vegas, L. (2021). Consumer and food changes in Mexican households during maximal contingency in the COVID-19 pandemic. International Journal of Gastronomy and Food Science, 24, 100357, 1-9.
- Foroudi, P., Tabaghdehi, S. A. H., & Marvi, R. (2021). The gloom of the COVID-19 shock in the hospitality industry: A study of consumer risk perception and adaptive belief in the dark cloud of a pandemic. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 92, 102717, 1-12.
- Goswami, S., & Chouhan, V. (2021). Impact of change in consumer behaviour and need prioritisation on retail industry in Rajasthan during COVID-19 pandemic. Materials Today: Proceedings, 46, 10262–10267.
- Gu, S., Ślusarczyk, B., Hajizada, S., Kovalyova, I., & Sakhbieva, A. (2021). Impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on online consumer purchasing behaviour. Journal of Theoretical and Applied Electronic Commerce Research, 16(6), 2263-2281.
- Hesham, F., Riadh, H., & Sihem, N. K. (2021). What have we learned about the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on consumer behaviour?. Sustainability, 13(8), 4304, 1-23.
- Huterska, A., Piotrowska, A. I., & Szalacha-Jarmużek, J. (2021). Fear of the covid-19 pandemic and social distancing as factors determining the change in consumer payment behaviour at retail and service outlets. Energies, 14(14), 4191, 1-18.
- Islam, T., Pitafi, A. H., Arya, V., Wang, Y., Akhtar, N., Mubarik, S., & Xiaobei, L. (2021). Panic buying in the COVID-19 pandemic: A multi-country examination. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 59, 102357, 1-13.
- Janssen, M., Chang, B. P., Hristov, H., Pravst, I., Profeta, A., & Millard, J. (2021). Changes in food consumption during the COVID-19 pandemic: analysis of consumer survey data from the first lockdown period in Denmark, Germany, and Slovenia. Frontiers in nutrition, 8, 635859, 1-20.
- Jeżewska-Zychowicz, M., Plichta, M., & Królak, M. (2020). Consumers’ fears regarding food availability and purchasing behaviours during the COVID-19 pandemic: The importance of trust and perceived stress. Nutrients, 12(9), 2852, 1-14.
- Jian, Y., Yu, I. Y., Yang, M. X., & Zeng, K. J. (2020). The impacts of fear and uncertainty of COVID-19 on environmental concerns, brand trust, and behavioural intentions toward green hotels. Sustainability, 12(20), 8688, 1-14.
- Jin, X., Li, J., Song, W., & Zhao, T. (2020). The impact of COVID-19 and public health emergencies on consumer purchase of scarce products in China. Frontiers in public health, 8, 617166, 1-10.
- Jribi, S., Ismail, H. B., Doggui, D., & Debbabi, H. (2020). COVID-19 virus outbreak lockdown: What impacts on household food wastage?. Environment, Development and Sustainability, 22(5), 3939-3955.
- Kim, J., Giroux, M., Gonzalez-Jimenez, H., Jang, S., Kim, S., Park, J., Kim, J.-E., Lee, J. C. & Choi, Y. K. (2020). Nudging to reduce the perceived threat of coronavirus and stockpiling intention. Journal of Advertising, 49(5), 633-647.
- Kim, J., Yang, K., Min, J., & White, B. (2021). Hope, fear, and consumer behavioural change amid COVID‐19: Application of protection motivation theory. International Journal of Consumer Studies, 1-17.
- Kitz, R., Walker, T., Charlebois, S., & Music, J. (2021). Food packaging during the COVID‐19 pandemic: Consumer perceptions. International Journal of Consumer Studies, 1-15.
- Koch, J., Frommeyer, B., & Schewe, G. (2020). Online shopping motives during the COVID-19 pandemic—lessons from the crisis. Sustainability, 12(24), 10247, 1-20.
- Kotler, P., Armstrong, G., Harris, L. C. & Piercy, N. (2017). Principles of marketing. Harlow: Pearson Education Limited.
- Krejcie, R. V., & Morgan, D. W. (1970). Determining sample size for research activities. Educational and Psychological Measurement, 30, 607-610.
- Laato, S., Islam, A. N., Farooq, A., & Dhir, A. (2020). Unusual purchasing behaviour during the early stages of the COVID-19 pandemic: The stimulus-organism-response approach. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 57, 102224, 1-12.
- Laguna, L., Fiszman, S., Puerta, P., Chaya, C., & Tárrega, A. (2020). The impact of COVID-19 lockdown on food priorities. Results from a preliminary study using social media and an online survey with Spanish consumers. Food quality and preference, 86, 104028, 1-9.
- Li, J., Jin, X., Zhao, T., & Ma, T. (2021). Conformity consumer behaviour and external threats: An empirical analysis in China during the COVID-19 pandemic. Sage Open, 11(3), 1-16.
- Li, Y., Yao, J., & Chen, J. (2021). The negative effect of scarcity cues on consumer purchase decisions in the hospitality industry during the COVID-19 pandemic. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 94, 102815, 1-10.
- Marinković, V., & Lazarević, J. (2021). Eating habits and consumer food shopping behaviour during COVID-19 virus pandemic: insights from Serbia. British Food Journal, 1-18.
- Mason, A., Narcum, J., & Mason, K. (2020). Changes in consumer decision-making resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic. Journal of Customer Behaviour, 19(4), 299-321.
- Mejía-Trejo, J. (2021). COVID-19 ads on purchase intention of online consumer behaviour as business innovation activity: A contribution to the uses and gratification theory. Electronic Commerce Research and Applications, 49, 101086, 1-23.
- Kursan Milaković, I. (2021). Purchase experience during the COVID‐19 pandemic and social cognitive theory: The relevance of consumer vulnerability, resilience, and adaptability for purchase satisfaction and repurchase. International Journal of Consumer Studies, 1425-1441.
- Naeem, M. (2021). Do social media platforms develop consumer panic buying during the fear of Covid-19 pandemic. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 58, 102226, 1-10.
- Ong, A. K. S., Cleofas, M. A., Prasetyo, Y. T., Chuenyindee, T., Young, M. N., Diaz, J. F. T., Nadlifatin, R., & Redi, A. A. N. P. (2021). Consumer behaviour in clothing industry and its relationship with open ınnovation dynamics during the COVID-19 pandemic. Journal of Open Innovation: Technology, Market, and Complexity, 7(4), 211, 1-23.
- Orîndaru, A., Popescu, M. F., Căescu, Ș. C., Botezatu, F., Florescu, M. S., & Runceanu-Albu, C. C. (2021). Leveraging COVID-19 outbreak for shaping a more sustainable consumer behaviour. Sustainability, 13(11), 5762, 1-19.
- Park, J., Kim, J., Lee, D. C., Kim, S. S., Voyer, B. G., Kim, C., Sung, B., Jimenez, H. G., Fastoso, F., Choi, Y. K., & Yoon, S. (2021). The impact of COVID‐19 on consumer evaluation of authentic advertising messages. Psychology & Marketing, 1-14.
- Pham, V. K., Do Thi, T. H., & Ha Le, T. H. (2020). A study on the COVID-19 awareness affecting the consumer perceived benefits of online shopping in Vietnam. Cogent Business & Management, 7(1), 1846882, 1-16.
- Rao, Y., Saleem, A., Saeed, W., & Haq, J. U. (2021). Online consumer satisfaction during COVID-19: perspective of a developing country. Frontiers in Psychology, 12, 51854, 1-12.
- Roșu, M. M., Ianole-Călin, R., Dinescu, R., Bratu, A., Papuc, R. M., & Cosma, A. (2021). Understanding consumer stockpiling during the COVID-19 outbreak through the theory of planned behaviour. Mathematics, 9(16), 1950, 1-15.
- Sunarjo, W. A., Nurhayati, S., & Muhardono, A. (2021). Consumer behaviour toward adoption of mobile payment: A case study in Indonesia during the COVID-19 pandemic. The Journal of Asian Finance, Economics and Business, 8(4), 581-590.
- Valaskova, K., Durana, P., & Adamko, P. (2021). Changes in consumers’ purchase patterns as a consequence of the COVID-19 pandemic. Mathematics, 9(15), 1788, 1-17.
- Vázquez-Martínez, U. J., Morales-Mediano, J., & Leal-Rodríguez, A. L. (2021). The impact of the COVID-19 crisis on consumer purchasing motivation and behaviour. European Research on Management and Business Economics, 27(3), 100166, 1-18.
- Wang, E., An, N., Gao, Z., Kiprop, E., & Geng, X. (2020). Consumer food stockpiling behaviour and willingness to pay for food reserves in COVID-19. Food Security, 12(4), 739-747.
- Wang, Y., Xu, R., Schwartz, M., Ghosh, D., & Chen, X. (2020). COVID-19 and retail grocery management: insights from a broad-based consumer survey. IEEE Engineering Management Review, 48(3), 202-211.
- Zafar, M. Z., Maqbool, A., Cioca, L. I., Shah, S. G. M., & Masud, S. (2021). Accentuating the interrelation between consumer ıntention and healthy packaged food selection during COVID-19: A case study of Pakistan. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 18(6), 2846, 1-14.