The effects of the COVID'19 pandemic on the tourism industry: A study on tourist preferences in post-pandemic holiday tourism
- COVİD’19 Pandemisi, Pandemi Sonrası Turizm, Turizmde Yeni Eğilimler
- COVID'19 Pandemic, Post-Pandemic Tourism, New Trends in Tourism
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 Mustafa BOZ
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
The study's main purpose is to reveal the effects of the COVID'19 pandemic on the tourism industry and consumer preferences that can emerge in the post-pandemic holiday tourism demands. The study used quantitative data collection techniques to obtain and analyse the data with the descriptive research approach. The study consists of three parts. In the first part, the literature review of the effects of the pandemic on the tourism industry is stated. Then, similar studies reveal people's preferences and behaviours that may occur during and after the pandemic. In the second part, a field study was conducted to get the opinions of people who plan to travel for a vacation after the pandemic by using social media tools through a questionnaire. As a result of the field study, it has been seen that the regions will come to the fore in travel preferences where the tourist density is low, precautions were taken, and less affected by the pandemic. In the last part of the study, through the findings obtained from the field research and similar studies, suggestions were presented to the destination planners, managers and tourism operators about the changes that may occur in the behaviour of tourists. The study's results show similarity with those obtained in similar studies conducted in Turkey and the world.
- Abdullah, M., Ali, N., Aslam, A.B., Javid, M. A. ve Hussain, S. A. (2021). Factors affecting the mode choice behavior before and during COVID-19 pandemic in Pakistan, International Journal of Transportation Science and Technology, 2046-0430. Tongji University and Tongji University Press. Publishing Services by Elsevier B.V.
- ADB ve UNWTO (2022). COVID-19 and the Future of Tourism in Asia and The Pacific. Co- publication of the Asian Development Bank and the World Tourism Organization. March 2022. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.22617/TCS220110-2
- Assaf, A. G., Kock, F. ve Tsionas, M. (2021). Tourism during and after COVID-19: An Expert-Informed Agenda for Future Research. Journal of Travel Research, Letter to Editör, 1–4
- Bloom Consulting (2020). The Impact on Tourist Behaviours. Bloom Consulting and D2-Analytics © 202. Report #2 COVID-19 Available at bloom-consulting.com/journal.
- Çokluk Bökeoğlu, Ö. (2023). Davranış Bilimlerinde İleri İstatistik Doktora Ders Sunumu. Faktör Analizi (Büyüköztürk, 2004). Erişim tarihi: 19.01.2023. https://acikders.ankara.edu.tr › resource › view
- Dağ, K., Çavuşoğlu, S. ve Demirağ, B. (2021). COVİD-19’un Tüketici Davranışları Üzerindeki Etkisi: Yerli Turistler Üzerinde Bir Araştırma. Süleyman Demirel Üniversitesi Vizyoner Dergisi, 12(32), 1160-1175.
- DSÖ (Dünya Sağlık Örgütü) (16.01.2023). WHO Coronavirus (COVID-19) Dashboard. Erişim tarihi: 16.01.2023. https://covid19.who.int/?mapFilter=deaths.
- İSTMER (İstatistik Merkezi) (2023). KMO İstatistiği Nedir? Erişim tarihi: 19.01.2023. https://www.istmer.com/kmo-istatistigi-nedir/
- Madubuike, S. (17.08.2020). COVID-19 Effect on Travel Behavior Among Vantaa Residents. Haaga-Helia University of Applied Science. Tourism and Event Management Thesis.
- Masiga, J. (2022). What next for travel and tourism? Here’s what the experts say. World Economic Forum. Erişim tarihi: 20.01.2023. https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2022/06/what-next-for-travel-and-tourism-industry-experts-explain/
- Matiza, T. (2020). Post-COVID-19 crisis travel behaviour: towards mitigating the effects of perceived risk. Journal of Tourism Futures. DOI 10.1108/JTF-04-2020-0063.
- Orden-Mejía, M., Carvache-Franco, M., Huertas, A., Carvache-Franco, W., Landeta-Bejarano, N. ve Carvache-Franco, O. (2022). Post-COVID-19 Tourists’ Preferences, Attitudes and Travel Expectations: A Study in Guayaquil, Ecuador. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2022, 19, 4822. https://doi.org/10.3390/ ijerph19084822
- Santos, M., González, A. M., Haegeman, C. ve Rainoldi, A. K. (2020). Behavioural changes in tourism in times of COVID-19: Employment scenarios and policy options. Publications Office of the European Union, Luxembourg, ISBN 978-92-76-20401-5, doi:10.2760/00411, JRC121262.
- Terzi, Y. (2019). Anket, Güvenilirlik –Geçerlilik Analizi. Erişim tarihi: 19.01.2023. file:///C:/Users/COMU/Downloads/fakt%C3%B6r%20analizi.pdf
- UNCTAD ve UNWTO (30.06.2021). Global Economy Could Lose Over $4 Trillion due to Covıd-19 Impact On Tourism. Press Release Jointly issued by UNCTAD and UNWTO. Geneva.
- UNWTO (Aralık 2021) Tourism: From Crisis to Transformation UNWTO and the COVID-19 Crisis. eISBN: 978-92-844-2318-7 | ISBN: 978-92-844-2317-0.
- UNWTO (17.01.2023). Tourism Set to Return to Pre-Pandemic Levels in Some Regions in 2023. News Release
- Vanzetti, D. ve Peters, R. (2021). Covıd-19 and Tourısm an Update: Assessing The Economic Consequences. UNCTAD (Unıted Natıons Conference On Trade And Development) Report
- Varadzhakova, D., Naydenov, A., Naumov, N., Rahmanov,F., Godjayeva, E. ve Suleymanov. E. (2021). Travel intentions after COVID-19: A comparative assessment of tourist motivation and willingness to travel in Bulgaria and Azerbaijan. Социално-икономически анализи, книга 1/ (19),37-48.
- Yang, Y., Cao, M. , Cheng, L. , Zhai, K., Zhao, X.ve De Vos, J. (2021). Exploring the relationship between the COVID-19 pandemic and changes in travel behaviour: A qualitative study. Transportation Research Interdisciplinary Perspectives. Volume 11, September 2021, 100450, 1-13.
- Wachyuni, S. S. ve Kusumaningrum, D. A. 2020. The Effect of COVID-19 Pandemic: How are the Future Tourist Behavior? Journal of Education, Society and Behavioural Science. 33(4), 67-76.