The effects of personal, corporate, environmental factors and brand image on the hospital preference: A research in İstanbul province
- Hospital Preference,
- Healthy Living Behavior,
- Corporate and Environmental Factors,
- Hospital Brand Image
- Hastane Tercihi,
- Sağlıklı Yaşam Davranışı,
- Kurumsal ve Çevresel Faktörler,
- Hastane Marka İmajı
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
One of the most critical needs of individuals is health. To be healthy, when individual efforts are not sufficient, it is necessary to get professional service from health institutions. Each individual goes through a particular decision-making process in order to choose the right health institution. This study aims to examine the personal, corporate, environmental factors and the brand image of the health institution's choice. For this purpose, within the experimental model framework, the experts were first interviewed, and then a questionnaire was applied after the pilot study. In the study conducted in Istanbul, where convenience sampling was used, a total of 657 questionnaires were reached by face to face survey method; 628 were found to be usable and included in the analysis. The most preferred private hospital by the participants was asked, and the data sets of the most preferred hospitals, which are AC and MP, were analyzed accordingly. As a result of the analysis, It was determined that “Hospital Brand Image” positively affected “Hospital Preference”; "Healthy Living Behavior" and "Corporate and Environmental Factors" did not have an apparent effect on "Hospital Preference", but different significant effects in different groups in sub-dimensions.
- Abelin, T., Brzezinski, Z. J., Carstairs, V. D., & World Health Organization. (1987). Measurement in health promotion and protection. World Health Organization. Regional Office for Europe.
- Ajzen, I. (1991). The theory of planned behavior. Organizational behavior and human decision processes, 50(2), 179-211.
- Ayhan, B., & Canöz, K. (2006). Hastaların Hastane Tercihinde Etkili Olan Halkla İlişkiler Faaliyetleri. II. Ulusal Halkla İlişkiler Sempozyumu, Kocaeli Üniversitesi, 27-28.
- Bahar, Z., Beşer, A., Gördes, N., Ersin, F., & Kıssal, A. (2008). Sağlıklı yaşam biçimi davranışları ölçeği II’nin geçerlik ve güvenirlik çalışması. Cumhuriyet Üniversitesi Hemşirelik Yüksekokulu Dergisi, 12(1), 1-13.
- Boscarino, J., & Stelber, S. R. (1982). Hospital shopping and consumer choice. Journal of Health Care Marketing, 2(2), 15-23.
- Conner, M., & Norman, P. (2005). Predicting health behaviour. McGraw-Hill Education (UK).
- Coyle, J. R., & Thorson, E. (2001). The effects of progressive levels of interactivity and vividness in web marketing sites. Journal of advertising, 30(3), 65-77.
- Deci, E. L., & Ryan, R. M. (1985). The general causality orientations scale: Self-determination in personality. Journal of research in personality, 19(2), 109-134.
- Deci, E. L., & Ryan, R. M. (2000). The" what" and" why" of goal pursuits: Human needs and the self-determination of behavior. Psychological inquiry, 11(4), 227-268.
- Durmuş, B., Yurtkoru, E.S., & Çinko, M. (2013). Sosyal Bilimlerde SPSS’le Veri Analizi. Bata Basım A.Ş. (İstanbul-Türkiye).5. Baskı.
- Dünya Sağlık Örgütü (DSÖ / WHO) (2018) Erişim Adresi: https://www.who.int/
- Esin, M.N., (1997). “Endüstriyel Alanda Çalışan İşçilerin Sağlık Davranışlarının Saptanması ve Geliştirilmesi”. İstanbul Üniversitesi, Sağlık B. Enstitüsü, Hemşirelik/Halk Sağlığı Hemşireliği, Yayınlanmış Doktora Tezi.
- Fertman C.I. ve Allensworth, D.D. (2010). Health Promotion Programs: From Theory To Proctice. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco.
- Fishbein, M., & Ajzen, I. (1975). Belief, Attitude, Intention, and Behavior: An Introduction to Theory and Research. Addison Wesley Publishing Company.
- Glanz, K., Rimer, B. K., & Viswanath, K. (Eds.). (2008). Health behavior and health education: theory, research, and practice. John Wiley & Sons.
- Kalaycı, Ş. (2010). SPSS uygulamalı çok değişkenli istatistik teknikleri. Ankara, Turkey: Asil Yayın Dağıtım.
- Kavuncubaşı, S. (2000): Hastane ve Sağlık Kurumları Yönetimi, Ankara: Siyasal Kitabevi.
- Kayaoğlu, A. ve Gülmez, Y. S. (2020). Sağlık Hizmetleri Tüketicisi Olarak Hastaların Özel Hastane Tercihini Etkileyen Faktörlerin Belirlenmesi: Diyarbakır Örneği. Atatürk Üniversitesi İktisadi ve İdari Bilimler Dergisi, 34(4), 1267-1286.
- Kim, K. H., Kim, K. S., Kim, D. Y., Kim, J. H., & Kang, S. H. (2008). Brand equity in hospital marketing. Journal of business research, 1(61), 75-82.
- Kotler P.: Marketing Management. 14. Edition, Printice Hall, New York, 2012.
- Kurtuluş, K. (2010). Araştırma yöntemleri. Türkmen Kitabevi.
- Lane, P. M., & Lindquist, J. D. (1988). Hospital Choice: A Summary Of The Key Empirical And Hypothe. Marketing Health Services, 8(4), 5-20.
- Lee, W. I., Shih, B. Y., & Chung, Y. S. (2008). The exploration of consumers’ behavior in choosing hospital by the application of neural network. Expert systems with applications, 34(2), 806-816.
- Madden, T. J., Ellen, P. S., & Ajzen, I. (1992). A comparison of the theory of planned behavior and the theory of reasoned action. Personality and social psychology Bulletin, 18(1), 3-9.
- Öztürk, M. (2000): Çağdaş Hastane Yöneticiliği Sorunlar ve Yaklaşımlar, İstanbul: MTM Yayın No:6.
- Parkerson Jr, G. R., Connis, R. T., Broadhead, W. E., Patrick, D. L., Taylor, T. R., & Tse, C. K. J. (1993). Disease-specific versus generic measurement of health-related quality of life in insulin-dependent diabetic patients. Medical care, 629-639.
- Pender, N. J. (2011). Health promotion model manual. University of Michigan. Deep Blue. https://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/handle/2027.42/85350
- Pender,N., Murdaugh C., ve Parsons M.A..(2015): Health promotion in Nursing Practice. Pearson, Seventh Ed., New Jersey.
- Prang, K. H., Canaway, R., Bismark, M., Dunt, D., Miller, J. A., & Kelaher, M. (2018). Public performance reporting and hospital choice: a cross-sectional study of patients undergoing cancer surgery in the Australian private healthcare sector. BMJ open, 8(4), e020644.
- Prochaska, J. O., & DiClemente, C. C. (1982). Transtheoretical therapy: toward a more integrative model of change. Psychotherapy: theory, research & practice, 19(3), 276.
- Rogers, R. W. (1975). A protection motivation theory of fear appeals and attitude change1. The journal of psychology, 91(1), 93-114.
- Rosenstock,I.M.(1974).Historical origins of the health belief model.Health education monographs, 2(4), 328-335.
- Ross, C. K., Steward, C. A., & Sinacore, J. M. (1993). The importance of patient preferences in the measurement of health care satisfaction. Medical care, 1138-1149.
- Rotter, R.B. (1966) Generalized expectancies for internal and external control of reinforcement, Psychological Monographs: General and Applied, 80 (whole no. 609), 1–28.
- Schwarzer, R., Sniehotta, F. F., Lippke, S., Luszczynska, A., Scholz, U., Schüz, B., Wegner, M., & Ziegelmann, J. P. (2003). On the assessment and analysis of variables in the health action process approach: Conducting an investigation.Berlin: Freie Universeitat Berlin.
- Schwarzer, R. (2008). Modeling health behavior change: How to predict and modify the adoption and maintenance of health behaviors. Applied psychology, 57(1), 1-29.
- Speak, K. D. (1996). The challenge of health care branding. Marketing Health Services, 16(4), 40-42.
- Şantaş, F., Kurşun, A., & Ahmet, K. A. R. (2016). Hastane tercihine etki eden faktörler: Sağlık hizmetleri pazarlaması perspektifinden alan araştırması. Hacettepe Sağlık İdaresi Dergisi, 19(1), 17-33.
- Tüfekçi, N., & Asığbulmuş, H. (2016). The factors that effective in the choice of hospital and patient satisfaction: the sample of Isparta. Journal of Current Researches on Health Sector, 6(2), 71-92.
- Walker SN, Sechrist KR & Pender NJ (1987) The Health Promoting Lifestyle Profile development and psychometric characteristics. Nursing Research, 36(2): 76-80.
- Walker, S. N., & Hill-Polrecky, D. (1996). Psychometric evaluation of the Health-Promoting Lifestyle Profile II. Proceedings of the 1996 Scientific Session of the American Nurses Association's Council of Nurse Researchers, June 13-14, Washington, DC.
- Wallston, B. S., Wallston, K. A., Kaplan, G. D., & Maides, S. A. (1976). Development and validation of the health locus of control (HLC) scale. Journal of consulting and clinical psychology, 44(4), 580.
- Wallston, K. A., Smith, R. A., King, J. E., Forsberg, P. R., Wallston, B. S., & Nagy, V. T. (1983). Expectancies about Control Over Health. Relationship to Desire for Control of Health Care. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 9(3), 377-385.
- Wallston, K.E. (1992) Hocus-pocus, the focus isn’t strictly locus: Rotter’s social learning theory modified for health, Cognitive Therapy and Research, 16, 183– 99.
- Weinstein, N. D. (1980). Unrealistic optimism about future life events. Journal of personality and social psychology, 39(5), 806-820.
- Wu, C. C. (2011). The impact of hospital brand image on service quality, patient satisfaction and loyalty. African Journal of Business Management, 5(12), 4873-4882.