A study on the effect of user-generated content on purchase behaviour
- Kullanıcı Türevli İçerik, Tüketici Yorumları, Tüketici Davranışı, Tüketici Deneyimi Etkisi
- User Generated Content, Consumer’s Comments, Consumer Behavior, Consumer Experience Impact
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Developments in the technological field have enabled consumers to gain an important place in creating content in the digital environment. In particular, non-professional consumer comments that do not have any sales or advertising concerns are expressed as user content. In this process, young consumers are essential because of their frequency of using the digital domain and their contribution to content production. In this study, a survey has been conducted to the students of Erciyes University by choosing the quantitative research method to examine the effect of user content on consumer behaviour among young consumers. According to the findings obtained as an outcome of the research, it has been concluded that young consumers mainly benefit from user content while planning their travels. In addition to travelling planning, the participants use it while purchasing technological products, choosing a movie or cinema, choosing a restaurant, and choosing a book. Although young consumers are affected by negative and positive consumer content, they mainly consider harmful user content. As the time the participants spend on the internet increases, their level of exposure to user content increases, whereas the time they spend on the internet increases, their tendency to produce content does not increase. Participants' trust incorporate content is equal to their trust in user content, and they tend to produce content most when they experience harmful consumption.
- Ahuja, R.D., Anne Michels, T., Mazzei Walker, M. & Weissbuch, M. (2007), Teen perceptions of disclosure in buzz marketing, Journal of Consumer Marketing, 24(3), 151-159. https://doi.org/10.1108/07363760710746157
- Anderson, C. (2008). Uzun Kuyruk-Geleceğin İşi: Çoğun Azını Satmak, İstanbul: Optimist Yayınları.
- Bagozzi, R. P., & Dholakia, U. M. (2002). Intentional social action in virtual communities. Journal of Interactive Marketing, 16(2), 2–21. https://doi.org/10.1002/dir.10006
- Bansal, H. S., & Voyer, P. A. (2000). Word-of-Mouth Processes Within a Services Purchase Decision Context. Journal of Service Research, 3(2), 166–177.
- Chatterjee, P. (2001). Online Reviews: Do Consumers Use Them? Association for Consumer Research, 18(2), 129–134.
- Cox, C., Burgess, S., Sellitto, C., & Buultjens, J. (2009). The role of user-generated content in tourists’ travel planning behavior. Journal of Hospitality and Leisure Marketing, 18(8), 743–764. https://doi.org/10.1080/19368620903235753
- Çüm, S., & Gelbal, S. (2015). Kayıp Veriler Yerine Yaklaşık Değer Atamada Kullanılan Farklı Yöntemlerin Model Veri Uyumu Üzerindeki Etkisi. Mehmet Akif Ersoy Üniversitesi Eğitim Fakültesi Dergisi, 35, 87–111.
- Daugherty, T., Eastin, M. S., & Bright, L. (2008). Exploring Consumer Motivations for Creating User-Generated Content. Journal of Interactive Advertising, 8(2), 16–25. https://doi.org/10.1080/15252019.2008.10722139
- Dellarocas, C., Zhang, X. M., & Awad, N. F. (2007). Exploring The Value Of Online Product Reviews in Forecasting Sales: The Case of Motion Pictures. Journal of Interactive Marketing, 21(3), 2–20. https://doi.org/10.1002/dir
- Dhar, V., & Chang, E. A. (2009). Does Chatter Matter? The Impact of User-Generated Content on Music Sales. Journal of Interactive Marketing, 23(4), 300–307. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intmar.2009.07.004
- Gretzel, U. (2006). Consumer Generated Content -Trends and Implications for Branding. E-Review of Tourism Research, 4(3), 9–11.
- Handley, A., & Chapmen, C. C. (2012). Dijital Çağda İçerik Yönetiminin Kuralları, İstanbul: Mediacat Yayıncılık.
- Hennig-Thurau, T., Gwinner, K. P., Walsh, G., & Gremler, D. D. (2004). Electronic word-of-mouth via consumer-opinion platforms: What motivates consumers to articulate themselves on the Internet? Journal of Interactive Marketing, 18(1), 38–52. https://doi.org/10.1002/dir.10073
- Hermida, B. A., & Thurman, N. (2007). Comments please : How the British news media are struggling with user-generated content. 8th International Symposium on Online Journalism Austin University of Texas Online, 2009(April 3), 1–28.
- İşlek, M. (2012). Sosyal Medyanın Tüketici Davranışlarına Etkileri: Türkiye’deki Sosyal Medya Kullanıcıları Üzerine Bir Araştırma, Karamanoğlu Mehmetbey Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü, Yüksek Lisans Tezi, Karaman.
- Jeong, E. H., & Jang, S. C. S. (2011). Restaurant experiences triggering positive electronic word-of-mouth (eWOM) motivations. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 30(2), 356–366. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2010.08.005
- Karahasan, F. (2012). Taşlar Yerinden Oynarken Dijital Pazarlamanın Kuralları, İstanbul: Doğan Kitap Yayınları.
- Karkar, A. (2016). Değer ve Güven Ağlarının Yükselişinde İçerik Pazarlaması Content Marketing on the Increase of Value and Confidence Network. 2(1).
- Katz, D. (1960). American Association for Public Opinion Research The Functional Approach to the Study of Attitudes Authors ( s ): Daniel Katz Source : The Public Opinion Quarterly , Vol . 24 , No . 2 , Special Issue : Attitude Change Published by : Oxford University Pres. The Public Opinion Quarterly, 24(2), 163–204.
- Koçer, M. (2012). Erciyes Üniversitesi Öğrencilerinin İnternet ve Sosyal Medya Kullanım Alışkanlıkları. Akdeniz Üniversitesi İletişim Fakültesi Dergisi, 18, 70–86.
- Krumm, J., Davies, N., & Narayanaswami, C. (2008). User Generated Content. Environmental Science and Technology, 7(4), 10–11. https://doi.org/10.1021/es0725605
- Lim, J., Lim, K., & Heinrichs, J. H. (2014). Gender and mobile access method differences of Millennials in social media evaluation and usage: An empirical test. Marketing Management Journal, 24(2), 124–135.
- Liu, Y. (2006). Word of mouth for movies: Its dynamics and impact on box office revenue. Journal of Marketing, 70(3), 74–89. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.70.3.74
- Mikalef, P., Giannakos, M., & Pateli, A. (2013). Shopping and word-of-mouth intentions on social media. Journal of Theoretical and Applied Electronic Commerce Research, 8(1), 17–34. https://doi.org/10.4067/S0718-18762013000100003
- Namkung, Y., & Jang, S. C. (2007). Does Food Quality Really Matter in Restaurants? Its Impact On Customer Satisfaction and Behavioral Intentions. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Research, 31(3), 387–409. https://doi.org/10.1177/1096348007299924
- O’Connor, P. (2008). User-Generated Content and Travel: A Case Study on Tripadvisor.Com. Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism 2008, 47–58. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-211-77280-5_5
- O’Reilly, T. (2012). What is web 2.0?: Design patterns and business models for the next generation of software. The Social Media Reader, 65, 32–52.
- Şencan, H. (2005). Sosyal ve Davranışsal Ölçümlerde Güvenilirlik ve Geçerlilik, Ankara: Seçkin Yayıncılık.
- Sethna, B. N., Hazari, S., & Bergiel, B. (2017). Influence of user generated content in online shopping : impact of gender on purchase behaviour , trust , and intention to purchase. Int. J. Electronic Marketing and Retailing, 8(4), 344–371.
- Smith, D., Menon, S., & Sivakumar, K. (2005). Online peer and editorial recommendations, trust, and choice in virtual markets. Journal of Interactive Marketing, 19(3), 15–37. https://doi.org/10.1002/dir.20041
- Sundaram, D. S., Mitra, K., & Webster, C. (1998). Word-of-mouth communications: A motivational analysis. Advances in Consumer Research, 25, 527–531.
- Tang, T. Y., Fang, E. E., & Wang, F. (2014). Is Neutral Really Neutral ? The Effects of Neutral User-Generated Content on Product Sales. Journal of Marketing, 78, 41–58. https://doi.org/10.1509/jm.13.0301
- Thi, N., Thao, T., Shurong, T., & Distric, B. (2020). Is It Possible for “ Electronic Word-of-Mouth ” and “ User-Generated Content ” to be Used Interchangeably ? Journal of Marketing and Consumer Research, 65, 41–48. https://doi.org/10.7176/JMCR/65-04
- Tiago, T., Amaral, F., & Tiago, F. (2015). The Good, the Bad and the Ugly: Food Quality in UGC. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 175, 162–169. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2015.01.1187
- To, P. L., Liao, C., & Lin, T. H. (2007). Shopping motivations on Internet: A study based on utilitarian and hedonic value. Technovation, 27(12), 774–787. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.technovation.2007.01.001
- Tomaiuolo, N. G. (2012). UContent: The Information Professional’s Guide to User-generated Content. Information Today, Incorporated. ProQuest Ebook Central. Created from gazi-ebooks on.
- Toros, D. N. (2016). Pazarlama İletişimi Açısından İnternet Ortamında Kullanılan Ağızdan Ağıza Pazarlama Tekniklerinin Marka Tercihine Etkisi. Üsküdar Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Dergisi, 1, 157–182.
- Vickery, G., & Vincet, S. W. (2007). Participative Web And User-Created Content: Web 2.0 Wikis and Social Networking. Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD).
- Yong Goh, K., Heng, C.-S., & Lin, Z. (2013). Social Media Brand Community and Consumer Behavior: Quantifying the Relative Impact of User- and Marketer-Generated. 24(1), 88–107.